Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Tea

I thought I'd play a little catch-up on my blog.  We did do some fun things this month, though perhaps not as many as I would have liked.  My heart just wasn't into things as much this year.  It can be hard to grieve and also celebrate. 

I appreciate the prayers, notes and encouragment that I've received.  Thank you.  This has been hard for my heart.  I try to stay busy as it helps keep my mind off of things.  I am also trying to be thankful.  I'm thankful that a family has come forward for Tonya.  I continue to pray for her daily as well as for the family that has commited to her.  I'm also continuing to pray for the many other children waiting for a family and still praying that perhaps one day this will be our path.  I'm not "over it" and honestly, this leaves a hole in my heart.  I know that time will heal and also know that part of my heart will always be with this precious little girl that I've loved through prayers. 

Please join me in praying for these children.  There are 147 million orphans around the world.  This breaks my heart.  I'm praying and giving and waiting to see if there is more that I could be doing.  Is there more that you could be doing?

I wanted to share one of the fun times we had early this month.  Rebecca and I were given a gift after we did the program with the Duke Athletes - a tea for 8.  It was enough for our whole family!  Or if some of them didn't want to go, we could ask friends to join us.  We ended up going with the a mix of the options - half family and half friends.  It was a lot of fun!

We went to the Washington Duke Inn - a very nice local place.  It was beautifully decorated and we went on a Friday afternoon.  We met friends and then went into the lovely dining area.  We each chose a drink.  Most chose a tea, but they also had other options for those who wanted something different.  Hot chocolate was an option for several of the children.  Doesn't it look delicious?



Pink lemonade was also a choice.



We sat and talked as we waited to see what would happen next.  We'd never been to this hotel for tea and I've never been out for tea so I didn't really know what to expect.  It was nice to spend time with friends in a relaxed and lovely setting.  Here I am with two of my handsome boys.





When the waiter brought out the food, it was incredible!  There were 3 layers of delightful offerings and enough for everyone to have one of each item.



The top tier included a cucumber sandwich, a pimento cheese sandwich, a devilled egg and a turkey sandwich with a cheese and dill spread.  The waiter described each item to us in a very tasty way - but I can't remember the details.  They were as yummy as they look!



Next, chicken salad in a little shell, a truffle, smoked cheese and a type of pudding.  (Now this is all to the best of my memory and I could be wrong!). 



The last tier - cheesecake, coconut cake, lemon meringue pie, shortbread cookie and a dark chocolate truffle with edible gold.



We talked about which level we liked the best and we all had different responses.  They were all yummy, but we each had our own favorite.  Afterwards, we had a group photo made in the lobby.



We also said our good-byes in one of the sitting areas off of the lobby.  The children enjoyed this carousel which was playing Christmas carols. 



Thank you friends for spending the afternoon with us and making sweet memories of this time together.

Blessings
Leslie

8 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun and such yummy goodies. I loved seeing the different delicacies.


    I'm so sorry your heart is still hurting.


    Blessings,

    Bo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tea looked like so much food. The food looks delicious. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas with the family.

    Blessings

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Leslie,


    That tea looks like so much fun! Your boys do indeed look so handsome! You are an awesome mama of some awesome boys -- and girls! I'm sorry you have hurt so for little Tanya. I can't wait until the co-ops start again. Maybe we can laugh some.


    You are dear to me.


    Love,

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! How lovely! How awesome! You look beautiful as always, love the sweater. When I lived in California my Mom and I, MIL, SIL, Aunt in law, Grandmother in law, BIL's Mom...aww heck, all of us girls would go to a tea house sometimes. I always loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special time! This looks just lovely. The Lord has brought you to mind several times lately, and I was happy to see this post from you. I'm glad you have had some fun and special times during this season, even while your heart is grieving. Grief and joy can be an odd combination. I have a dear friend here who was on a path to adopt two little boys from Russia. They made two trips to Russia, and on their very first meeting her heart and their hearts were just completely interwoven. She truly felt like their mama right away. Two years and much heartache later, one of the boys was adopted right out from under them by a Russian family (which takes precedence over foreigners) and the other boy was deemed to be special needs (no specific diagnosis, just general being "behind" due to being institutionalized) and therefore unadoptable. Her heart was broken. The second boy will live in an orphanage until he is 16 and then turned out to the street. Literally. How can that be God's plan? She will never understand it, but she has found a place of rest in God's sovereignty. As difficult as that adoption road was, God pretty much literally dropped two little *girls* from Russia into their laps two years later. The doors just flew open, it was so easy. Not their plan, but God's. The girls are quite a bit younger than the boys were, so they had to make some big adjustments, but those girls are the sunshine of our whole church! It is hard for her to live with the joy and gratitude of God giving Kate and Anna to her, along with the pain of losing Sasha and Yuri, but God gives her daily grace to live with both. She prays daily for the sons of her heart, and sends letters and gifts each year on his birthday. She cannot tell him how hard they tried to adopt him, but she can tell him that he is loved and that he is special. And perhaps that will make all the difference in his life, even though he is being raised in an orphanage.


    I'm sorry this got so long, but I just wanted to encourage you that the daily prayers and the love you pour into your little "daughter of the heart" across the miles IS making a difference in her life. And God will certainly open other doors and make His way clear for your future. And give you daily grace to live with both grief and gratitude.


    You are in my prayers.


    Blessings,

    Pam in SE MI

    ReplyDelete
  6. coffeeandconversationDecember 28, 2009 at 5:14 PM

    Leslie,

    This looks like so much fun! What a beautiful place. The decorations and especially the Christmas tree are just amazing. The food looks sooo yummy too!

    I am glad you were able to have such a special time out with your children and friends.

    Blessings,

    Bronwyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to taking my children to a formal tea someday. I went to my first formal tea for my 16th birthday and have been to a few since. It looks like a lovely place that you went.

    Our prayers are with you and the millions of children around the world who wait for families. By the way, you are doing something by just bring up orphans into peoples minds.

    Blessings,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks friends for your hugs and prayers and sweet words – and for enjoying our day with us!


    Lynn – you are dear to me too sweet friend! Thank you for understanding my heart and I look forward to seeing you again soon!


    Pam – thank you for sharing the story of your friend. Thank you for sharing about living with grief and joy. I appreciate your words and your encouragement very much! Thank you for your prayers too!


    Dawn – Thank you. I too have to believe that prayers are making a difference and I’m happy to be a voice in some small way for these precious children.


    Love to all of you!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!