Tuesday, August 18, 2009

He did it!

I'm  proud of one of my little men today.  He wanted to try something new.  Face a fear and tackle it.  He asked if he could do it.  I agreed.  With trembling hands, he prepared.  He hesitated, wondering if he could go through with it.  He tried and nothing happened.  He looked at me quizzically and I told him to try again with more pressure this time.  And then, he did it.

Joshua tested himself for the first time today (and then again several more times today).  He was so proud of himself.  It was sweet to see that look of pride in his glowing eyes when he was able to do it.  I'm proud of him too.  I remember how scared I was the first time I had to poke him - and it wasn't even my finger. 



The only downside to his first testing.  He was low.  He hadn't felt it and it surprised us both.  Thankfully, he came up pretty well after a juice box and then a snack after another recheck. 

In other Joshua news, he was stung by a bee yesterday in the late afteroon.  We were going on a treasure hunt out in the yard when it happened.  He screamed from the pain as he was stung on the tip of his nose.  We went inside and I followed the steps in my home remedies book to treat him.  Thankfully, he had none of the bad symptoms.  He did however have pain and swelling

I was surprised when I saw him this morning to note that his nose was still swollen and red.  It looked more swollen, but I wasn't sure.  He still had no other danger signs, but still I wondered. 

I called the nurse at our ped's office to talk with her about it.  Is it different since he has diabetes?  The answer I didn't want to hear was "yes".  Since he has diabetes, he is more prone to infection.  So, while he did not have an allergic reaction to the sting, he does have to be watched to help prevent infection. 

Thankfully, he does not seem to be in pain.  His nose is still swollen and the sting site has a slight discharge at times.  I'm hoping that by morning it will look much better.  Praying for a quick healing with no complications.  I wish it had gotten me instead of him!

Otherwise, we are all healthy and staying busy.  More tomorrow.

Blessings
Leslie

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What well adjusted children you are raising. I am glad Joshua was able to test himself. I hope you all have a blessed week and that the bee sting comes to nothing.

    Blessings,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for Joshua!! Great job on doing your own pokes!


    Praying about the bee sting - ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear. I have been following your family's struggle with this diabetes diagnosis and what not-have you in my prayers. My mom has Type 2, my husband works with many, many diabetics and I have had friends with Type 1-so I am aware of it and know the basics, but unfortunately, I do not have anything really knowledgeable to offer up-but prayers of strength, hope and peace.

    I glean so much from your blogging and so I gave you an award, you can pick up here:http://1of100toscrewreviews.blogspot.com/2009/08/ohh-award.html

    Have a better, non-bee stinging week ahead! It is always something isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. coffeeandconversationAugust 19, 2009 at 7:57 AM

    You have such a brave young man on your hands! Maybe he gets that from watching such a strong mom. Take care and you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!