Thursday, March 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Christopher!

I'm not sure what it is about birthdays that makes me feel reflective, a little bit sad/nostalgic and also very thankful.  There is something about this birthday - my oldest child's - that sometimes even feels a little more so than others.  Maybe it's because it was the birth of this child that gave me a new role - Mom!  A role that I never knew would bless me beyond my wildest dreams.  A job that was the hardest I've ever done and yet without question the most rewarding as well.  Maybe too it's because I can see the years moving by and know that before long he will be grown.  I'm not ready for that!


Sixteen years ago ... can it be that long?  Can he really be almost a man?!  Yet, it seems so long ago that I wasn't a mom.  It is so much of who I am.  That precious little baby that just melted me heart.  This incredible young man that continues to intrigue, challenge, and bless me. 


We tried to plan out this day - offering MANY suggestions for fun things to do.  In the end, we spent a relaxed day at  home with family.  We played games (mostly basketball) and watched some too.  We watched a movie and we ate - Christopher really loves food!  We started the day with omelettes and hash browns - cooked by my dh!  Christopher had his food on the special plate.



I thought I'd be cooking today - but instead we had pizza for lunch and taco bell for dinner.  Well, I did make pumpkin bars for dessert.  Christopher is not a fan of chocolate and is allergic to nuts, so desserts can be a little limited.  He does love ice cream too - and chose banana pudding ice cream.  Yum!


There are so many things that I enjoy about Christopher - he is interesting and able to talk about a wide range of things.  He is helpful and I really appreciate when he sees a need and just jumps in without being asked.  He is fun and loves playing with his siblings.  He is patient (most of the time) about being tackled and included in their games.  I especially love watching him with Eliana.  He really enjoys her and there is something about seeing a teen-aged boy with a little one that is just extra sweet.


Christopher loves food and is a great cook.  He is willing to experiment and has a good sense of what will work so that his "concoctions" are usually really good!  He is very helpful in the kitchen and has recently volunteered to help out at our church's kitchen once a week too. 


Christopher is bright, likes a challenge and loves games of all sorts - card, board, sports, etc.  He is laid-back, caring helpful and fun to be with.  I enjoy hanging out with him - and get to see a lot of him at night as he is a night owl like me.


I am so thankful that God blessed us with you, Christopher.  My life is so much richer for having been your mom.  I thank God for you every day.



Happy Birthday sweetheart.  I love you!


Mommy




3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Christopher!


    Leslie,

    I can't believe he is 16 already! I remember hearing the news of his birth while I was expecting Tate. Get ready for the road!!


    Blessings,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks friends!


    Get ready Cyndi - your time is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!