Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Prayer request for our sweet Daniel

Hi friends,

Would you join me in praying for our sweet 4yo boy. We had what I thought was going to be a routine visit to the eye doctor today. The appts with Rebecca and Joshua went smoothly. Joshua's vision has improved with the continous patching he has been doing!  The appt with Daniel took longer.

We talked and I had shared some of what had been going on with Daniel regarding sensory issues.  I wasn't sure if she knew what to make of that - but then again lots of people don't.  She even commented that my last two children were giving me a run for my money. 


As the appt continued, she just kept looking and looking into his eyes. I thought it was just because he was wiggly (he was) and maybe not cooperating as best he could. I didn't realize that she was looking for something specific and having a hard time finding it.

When she finished the exam she told me that she could not find the outline (may not be remembering the words exactly right) of his optic nerve in one eye because it was swollen. She said it had been difficult at times in the past, but that she had always found it. Well, this time she couldn't. As I sat listening to her, I really had no idea what she was talking about or what this could mean.

Her next words though sent a chill through my body. She wants Daniel to have an MRI to see if there is a mass or ??? causing him to have a swollen optical nerve. As her words sank in, I could feel tears coming to my eyes.

We talked about details - when would it be done and where (Duke). What the process entails (40 min scan of his brain inside one of those tubes) and would he be sedated (yes!). As I worked on details, it was easy to let go of the idea that something might be wrong in my little boy's brain. She tried to assure me that she didn't think that there was anything, but that we needed to do this to rule it out.

I didn't ask a lot of questions about what this could mean. A "mass"? I don't know. I wasn't sure I wanted to go there. At times, the details can just overwhelm me and I'm trying to just be reassured by her thoughts that everything is probably fine. 


Daniel also has a malformation of his skull (it has a name ... cranio ... something). His ped told me when he was a baby that we could have it repaired, but that it was purely cosmetic and wouldn't affect him in any way. I took his word then and didn't ask for any further testing. Now I'm wondering if I should have done more.

I'm trying not to think about it because when I do it's scary. One more opportunity for me to learn to trust. To be willing to put my child into God's capable and loving hands. He is there anyway - I just need to trust. I know Gods love and I'm thankful for that.

We have scheduled an MRI for the 27th at 2pm. I would love your prayers - for peace for us while we wait, for a smooth procedure and clear results. Obviously too we are praying that there is nothing wrong with Daniel.

Thank you dear friends for standing by me once again.


Blessings,


Leslie




10 comments:

  1. Praying for Daniel and for you Leslie!


    (I tried earlier to send you a completely unrelated message at FIAR but your inbox is full.)


    Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Leslie, Life just continues it's twists and curves, doesn't it? We will be praying for these concerns over the next 2 weeks.


    Hugs to you!


    Columbine Gardens Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will keep your family in our prayers. Praying for Daniel's health. Every member of your family is so beautiful. We just love looking at your blog.


    Sandi


    www.tommyupdate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying that it is nothing serious and that God will lift from you all your anxieties and worries.


    (((hugs))) being sent your way

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be writing this on my calendar and praying for you and your sweet Daniel.


    This is my sweet girls favorite bible verse:

    What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

    Psalm 56:3 KJV

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Leslie! I pray that Daniel is going to be OK. I know from experience how expensive and MRI can be. I'm waiting on results of a bone scan done on my 16 year old last Friday. I hope it is just a simple stress fracture and not something more serious. Us moms sometimes worry about the worst case don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you friends for your hugs and prayers. I appreciate them!


    Friend - I'm so sorry your 16yo is going through something difficult too. Praying that it is nothing too serious!


    Blessings,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Leslie,

    It's me, Beth from GIFTSNC. I just stopped by your blog, and now I see why I was moved to visit you today. I will keep you in my prayers.


    The "not knowing" is what keeps Mommas filled with concern.


    Though it is of little help, I have a friend whose daughter (with DS) had a similar finding at the ophthalmologist once. It ended up being absolutely nothing.


    Praying for Daniel and the doctors,


    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Leslie, I am so sorry! I would be as worried sick as you are...I'll be praying from now til then that you can rest in the Lord's peace...and please let us know how that appt. goes!


    Candace

    www.hismercyisnew.com


    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Leslie,


    The Maker of the Universe holds you and Daniel in His arms, and He knows every intricate detail about sweet, precious Daniel. I'm praying for both of you, and trusting in our Heavenly Father, who is "the Hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas."


    Psalm 121



    1 I lift up my EYES to the hills—

    where does my help come from?

    2 My help comes from the LORD,

    the Maker of heaven and earth


    Hugs, Love and Peace to you,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!