Sunday, August 26, 2007

Guess what our girl has done today!

She is eating!!!  I'm just thrilled with what she has done today.  Her first feeding was at 8:30am.  She was doing great taking most of the bottle.  She got stalled a little on the last ounce.  We took a short break while I got ready for church and then tried a little more.  She ate 128cc - out of the 140 she is supposed to be eating.  We skipped the last 12cc as it seemed silly to pump in so little.  That's a little over 4 ounces.


She just finished her second feed of the day - and took 110cc which is a little more than 3.5 ounces.  she is getting the last ounce via tube as I type.


The surgeon on Friday asked what I thought was making the difference in her ability to eat now.  I do think that having the NG gone has made a big difference for Eliana.  She seems much more content.  While the g-tube is often a pain for me, it really isn't for her.  I'm getting used to it too.  I know the problems and how to deal with them. for the most part.  (At least I'm hoping I've figured out most of the problems.  LOL) 


I'm so very thrilled with Elaina's eating progress!  She has taken a little over 7.5 ounces so far today!  She has 3 more feeds to go.  If she can keep this up, we'll soon be able to do all of her feeds by mouth.  That will be a glorious day!


I was reflecting today on how when Eliana was born I hated giving her a bottle.  I wanted to nurse her so badly.  She was able to nurse, but not for long enough and when she went into heart failure she was not able to eat much orally at all.  Now, the bottle that I so didn't want to be a part of our day - I am welcoming and looking forward to.  Isn't a little perspective a wonderful thing?  I am thankful that we have this option for our daughter. 


Thank you God for this moment of hope.  This day has been one already of hope.  The message in church was encouraging and it was just sweet to be there with my family.  I've missed us being able to be out together.  This peace in my heart is helping to feel like I'm finding that "new normal".  I so wanted things to be like they were before that I'm sure I was resisting the changes.  I'm happy to have back some of the old (like today I'm trying to bake bread by hand for the first time in 8 months), but I'm also happy to find joy in the new too.


Lord - I am thankful for you.  I am thankful for the opportunity to praise you.  I am thankful for eah blessing - large and small - that you place in my life.  Thank you for opening my eyes to see more of the blessings that you provide.


With love,


Leslie

4 comments:

  1. Praise GOD from Whom all Blessings Flow!!


    When I saw the title of your post, my first thought was that Rebecca's WholeHearted bracelet sales have reached $5,000!


    My next thought was that Eliana had taken an entire feeding by bottle! And she very nearly did, so by all means count it as her first full feed. Way to go, Eliana!! I'm excited for you ((Leslie)).


    I'm glad her appointment with the surgeon went so well!


    We've been having some big discussions, lately, at our house in regard to some possibilities that would involve some big changes. My husband said this, "I have tried so many times to second guess God, and I have always been wrong. So, I've decided I'm just not going to even try to second guess Him, this time." What that said to me was that I need to just sit tight and wait and see what God does next. That is hard! I want to know, now, what He is going to do! I want to try some doors and see if they will open! (Sigh!) There is wisdom, though, in his words, so I will do my best to just be still and know that GOD IS!


    Love,

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. For lack of better wording! LOL


    I'm so thrilled by this post!


    Love,

    Lisa

    'Lisalyn'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God! What a blessing for your mama's heart, and what a blessing for your dear, little girl!


    Love, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  4. So grateful for the blessings you're receiving in so many ways. May this new peace you have overflow into your household and relationships. There will still be tough times and difficult days, but our God is faithful!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!