Monday, July 30, 2007

Praising God!

Just wanted to update on Eliana's appointment today with the ENT.  Just to update those that may not remember, Eliana failed a hearing test as a newborn in the NICU.  We went back a week later to try again and she failed then too.  We didn't follow up for awhile as we were just overwhelmed dealing with a baby in heart failure.  Heart failure just pushed everything else off of the "to-do" list.


After her heart surgery, we had another test done.  Another failure.  At that point, they began talking with me about possible hearing loss in one ear.  The right ear has always passed and tested fine.  After this appointment (with an audiologist), I immediately set up an appointment with an ENT for further testing.  This appt was in early May and once again, Eliana failed in her left ear.  At that point the ENT wanted to wait for a couple more months.  It appeared that there was some fluid in her ear that may have been causing problems.  He said if she was still failing the test in a couple of months, that she would probably need to have tubes put in her ears.


Fast forward to today.  I have been praying for clear test results.  If there are problems, I wanted them recognized so that they could be treated.  Of course I was also praying that her hearing would be fine.  We were seen shortly after arriving by an audiologist.  She was glad to see that Eliana was sleeping as she thought the test would go better. 


We talked for a few moments before she started the test.  She asked how things had been going and I told her that it had been a little tough - and that she had g-tube surgery just 2 weeks ago.  She began the test in Eliana's left ear - the one that has consistently failed.  She looked over at the test screen and then said to me "She is passing".  My eyes just welled up with tears.  Tears of relief.  Tears of happiness.  Tears of thankfulness.  Praise God was one of my first thoughts! 


I continued to hold my breathe waiting for the test to finish, wondering if things could change.  She passed!  She can hear just fine!!!  Oh, I'm in tears again thinking about it.  I'm so very thankful that she has been spared this trial.  That all of us have been spared this trial.  Oh, my baby can hear!  I had told someone that I thought she seemed to hear just fine, but was told that I might have just missed the problems she was having.  I'm so thankful that isn't the case. 


The right ear was tested and as usual was fine.  After this test (OAE) she did another test to see if there was fluid in the ears and Eliana tested fine on that one too.  She gave me copies of the test results and seeing "normal" in so many places was a sweet thing!  I remember one other time when the word "normal" was a sweet thing.  It was during my level 2 ultrasound with Daniel.  I didn't want to know if there was anything wrong, but it was still a great relief to read "normal". 


We then waited for about an hour to see the ENT.  I started reading a book (Quaker Summer) which was nice treat as I don't have nearly enough time to read for pleasure.   When Eliana was awake, I read some books to her as well.  Having gotten such great news, I really didn't mind the wait.


The ENT looked in her ears and thought things looked great.  He commented that the size of her ear canals was good (it is typically smaller in children with Down syndrome which can create problems).  He also said that though he couldn't promise it, that having made it to 7.5 months with no hearing issues was a good sign that she may not have them.  We will return in 7 months for a follow-up just to be sure.


I'm so thankful for this answer to prayer.  I feel like we have been given a break.  Thank you God!


Still having problems with her feeding tube coming open - and leaking.  It happened 4 times today.  I've tried wrapping various things around it and thus far nothing has helped.  I'm hoping our ped may  have some ideas.


Time for bed.  Tomorrow is a busy day.


Thank you for your prayers.


With love,


Leslie


 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Leslie, I am rejoicing with you over every good gift you have been given lately. So glad to hear the good news about Eliana's hearing!


    I have given you the Reflections Blogger Award. (See my blog for details.) Please know that you are under ZERO obligations to do anything more than know how much many of us, me included, are challenged and inspired by your blog. I just wanted to honor you in some small way and say thanks for being so transparant. You are continually in my prayers.


    Love,

    Jen

    www.homeschoolblogger.com/momofgirls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the LORD!


    Love, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...for the GREAT news!


    And hope you get your socks blessed off by QUAKER SUMMER. I can honestly say that QS is not only in my top 10 for all time favorite books, but top 5 list for life changing books.


    ENJOY!


    Elysa Mac

    (using her dd's old blog a/c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, my name is Liz...I found your blog through another.....what caught my eye was the name of your daughter, I have a daughter named Eliana too :), we call her Ellie...then I kept reading and saw pics of her with her feeding tube...I am likewise in the "world" of feeding tubes :) with my son Ezra and wanted to write you....I gathered some info, but am not exactly clear on the details of your sweet Eliana....she is beautiful, with a precious smile!!!

    God bless...

    A blessed mommy, Liz

    www.jewelsofjoy.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!