Thursday, June 7, 2007

Needing wisdom!

Hi All,

If you are up late and reading this, could you please pray?  Something is wrong with the feeding tube/pump/bag - I don't know which or what.  *sigh*  Just when we figured out a placement for the tube that isn't getting yanked out, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to pull it and start over.

I tried doing a feeding about 12:30.  She was awake but wouldn't take the bottle.  I tried this for a short while, but when it was evident that she wouldn't take it, I hooked her up to the pump.  It ran fine for awhile and then began beeping with "flow error" messages.  I tried all that I could think of to get it to work.  I drained the bag, and restarted it.  I shook up the formula to see if any of the added powder had settled.  I tried resetting the pump.  All of that still resulted in the flow errors.  (Did I mention that this equipment came with no manual to help with any problems?  Thankfully I had read the manual that came with the first pump we had and know at least some of the common problems.) 

When I drained the bag a second time it seemed like there had been no difference in the amount of formula in the bag - even though it had been running.  I'm not sure if there is a clog in "her" tubing.  I tried flushing her tube with water.  It went, but was a little difficult to push in.  I also tried "listening" to her stomach with the stethoscope, and while I heard a noise, it didn't sound like it normally does.  I'm not sure though if that is because it isn't empty like it normally is when I check tube placement prior to a feeding or if it's clogged or what. 

I've been praying for wisdom.  I really don't know what to do.  It's late and not like I can phone anyone.  The pump has no directions and I can't find anything on-line.  (I really don't see what could be malfunctioning here though as I've checked as much on that as I can and it seems to be working fine.)  The only next step I can see is to remove Eliana's tube.    I just don't want to do that.  It hurts her.  I'm concerned about damaging her throat with the reinsertion. 

I was so excited to have had this tube in for a week!  That's the longest in quite a long while.  I was hoping to make it until next week so that we could stretch out the times between tube placement.

Could you join me in praying for wisdom?  I know that God promises to supply wisdom and I really need it.  You could also pray that I wouldn't continue to be frustrated with my dh who went to sleep while I'm up trying to figure this out.  I know he doesn't know what to do either.  Being a parent is hard sometimes - but I wouldn't trade it for the world!   

ETA:  Just found instructions on line about the feeding pump and I'm going to go check out each one of the possible reasons for errors.  Here's a link if anyone is interested. 

http://www.horizonhealthcareservices.com/resources/kangaroo_pet.htm

Thank you friends!

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!