Monday, March 9, 2009

Workboxes and a high school student

I wanted to comment on using this with a high school student.  Initially I thought I'd not do it with my oldest.  I didn't think it was necessary.  I still don't think he needs the visual cues of the boxes, but we'll see about that after we've done it for awhile.


What I am finding is that the structure of the boxes and specific directions for each one is very helpful for my high schooler.  He has gotten so much work done today and I am thrilled!  We built in a better review time for his work and I can only see this getting better.


This system is helping me to take my role as a homeschooler more seriously.  Not that I didn't before, but my efforts are much more productive and it is showing.  It's probably showing in how the house looks too.  LOL  It's hard to get it done in school and also in keeping up with the house.  We'll tackle that a little later though.


Blessings,


Leslie

4 comments:

  1. It IS hard to keep house too isn't it?! That's one of my pet peeves. I won't even mention what my house is like right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering after all the time since you wrote this post........how did it work out for your high schooler? I have two I am thinking about using it with.


    Thanks! Chari

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had many of the same concerns. We use a checklist and each child has a bookshelf with their materials for the day. Since my kids are a bit older (8, 10, 13), and I only saw reference for younger kids, I didn't think my kids would benefit. However, after searching YET AGAIN, for a book that should have been on my daughter's shelf, I think we are going to reconsider the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently using this with 5 of my children. My oldest doesn't use the boxes (though I think it would help both of us stay on top of the work better). It's his preference and he is motivated and getting his work completed.


    I use it with my 14, 10, 8, 5 and 3yo children. Most of them appreciate knowing what is coming for the day, having all the supplies in one box so no need to hunt for them. It doesn't mean that they don't complain about the hard things in their boxes.


    I think it still really helps *ME* - to plan ahead, to stay organized and to make sure I have all that I need for the day ready to do (so I don't waste time looking things up on the computer,etc). I also try to look at their load and determine if I need to add more work or more fun things to their day. We still really enjoy this system!


    Hope this helps!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!