Sunday, November 4, 2007

I'm published!


I have some exciting news!  I'm not sure if I have shared this before - but I have had a small piece published in a magazine!  I am excited!  It's wild to see my name in print!  This is not something I ever would have imagined.  My sweet friend Tami told me earlier this year that she was writing a piece for The Old Schoolhouse magazine (it's a homeschooling magazine).  She was writing about Five in a Row quilts and was looking for others to share their story.  I told her that I would love to participate and she allowed me to co-write the article with her.  She is a delightful and encouraging friend. 


I know that I've shared this before - I don't consider myself a "writer".  I've never had much confidence in my skills and only started this blog as a means to communicate with others about Eliana.  It seemed a great way to share news and photos.  I never realized that it would become so much more.  It has become a place for me to share the ups and downs of life with a special needs child in an open way.  It has become a place of encouragment as many reach out to pray for our family.  It has become a place where God is declared.  At times too, I'm told that others are encouraged by my words and I can only credit God.  I continue to be humbled that He would use anything I say to bless someone else.  Truly, He is good!


I thought you might like a peek at the piece that I wrote and a picture of the quilt to go along with it.  I actually have another quilt too - but don't have a photo of it at the moment.  Maybe I can add that tomorrow.  I've added the photo.  This is a quilt that has been pieced for YEARS - but I haven't gotten around to doing anything more with it.  It does with Before Five in a Row.  Each square represents a different children's picture book.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*


I've had to remove the article.  I didn't realize that the writers have an exclusivity agreement not to post or share in print or digitally for 180 days after the magazine was published.  Sorry about that.  If you are interested in reading it, let me know.  A friend is sending a few extra copies of the magazine.  Or, if you are really patient - I'll post it again in 6 months. 



*~*~*~*~


Maybe, just maybe I can do something with my writing.  I'm not sure.  I'm just trying each day to walk the path that God has layed before me.  Sometimes I'm not even walking it - I'm being carried.  I'm thankful that I'm not alone.


With love,


Leslie

7 comments:

  1. Dear Leslie,


    It's so charming! I don't know how you've managed to accomplish a project such as a quilt. Not being real familiar with FIAR, I was wondering what are some of the books represented by some of the squares?


    Love,

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Leslie,


    Congratulations on having your article published and thanks for sharing it with us. Your quilts will be cherished heirlooms for your family and the stories behind them will be treasured memories...especially the stories about when and how they were made! Over the years they may serve as memorials of God's hand upon your family and the blessings He has provided you...love, comfort, healing, guidance, wisdom, friendship and JOY..to name a few. Your writing will document your story for your family and others to read about God's faithfulness. It is a gift, and with it you are blessing many.


    Love, Cyndi


    "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when your get up." Deueronomy 6:5-7

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna - Here are the book titles from the squares. I'm sure that there are many that you know and love too.


    Here are the books in the large quilt starting at the top and going L to R.


    1- Katy No Pocket, We’re Going on a Bear Hunt, The Snowy Day and Caps for Sale


    2 - , The Carrot Seed, My Blue Boat, Angus Lost, Play with Me


    3- ABC Bunny, Ask Mr, Bear, Jenny’s Surprise Summer, The Quiet Way Home


    4 - Jesse Bear, What will You Wear, If Jesus Came to My House, The Big Green Pocketbook, Runaway Bunny


    5 - The Red Carpet, I Am An Artist, Prayer for a Child, Yellow Ball

    6 – Blueberries for Sal, Goodnight Moon, Corduroy, The Little Rabbit





    Here are the books in the smaller quilt starting at the top and going left to right


    1 – Play with Me (large square) , The Quiet Way Home (green) and below it Jesse Bear, What will You Wear, The Little Rabbit (large square), Katy No Pocket (aprons) and below it My Blue Boat.


    2 – The Snowy Day, Ask Mr, Bear, Goodnight Moon, Prayer for a Child, Caps for Sale and Runaway Bunny


    3 – Going on a Bear Hunt (large square), Jenny’s Surprise Summer (pink w/kittens) and below it Corduroy (bears and buttons), Yellow Ball (large square), Blueberries for Sal and below it The Red Carpet


    4 – If Jesus Came to My House, Angus Lost, ABC Bunny, The Big Green Pocketbook, The Carrot Seed and I Am An Artist


    Cyndi - thank you for your love and encouragment sweet friend! ((((Cyndi))))



    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read your title for this post, all I could think about was THE JOURNAL OF LAW AND ECONOMICS! I had to laugh, and I knew you would appreciate that! We've come a long way, Baby! (smile)


    hugs to you, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cyndi - that is so funny! I'm chuckling over here just thinking about it. LOL


    Wish we could visit sometime and catch up. I hope you and your family are doing well.


    Love,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ely from FIAR boardsNovember 7, 2007 at 8:39 AM

    I just want to say. If you ever make a quilt like this for purchase I would be your first sale!!! I love that BFIAR quilt. What a keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ely,


    I doubt I'll ever be able to do one for purchase - though you are sweet to suggest buying one. Have you thought of joining the FIAR quilt group? We swap squares and it's an easy way to get started on a quilt?


    Blessings,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!