Thursday, April 19, 2007

Thur 4/19 - We are going home!!!

It's 3 days post-op and we are going home!  It's hard to believe how quickly and well she is recovering!  Truly a miracle.  I had been told 2 weeks and was really prepared for 1 week based on discussions with other people who had been through this.  Never did I expect to be home in 3 days.  Just three days ago at this time (12:30pm) I was running into the NICU to see my precious daughter for the first time after surgery.  Oh, how I had missed her during those hours of surgery.  Oh, how hard it was to let go of my little girl - to know what was happening to her and not to let me mind dwell on it too much. 

I don't remember if I shared my fears - that she wouldn't make it.  That something bad would happen to her.  That any of the time I had "wasted" would be time I would really regret if I wouldn't get time back with her.  I was prepared for the day prior to surgery - and especially the night - to be a time of pure anguish.  I was not prepared for God's peace to cover me.  I did still cry, but not the anguish and desparation that I expected.  God is good to have covered me in peace.  I am so very thankful for that.  It didn't take away the fears, but did give me a peace in the midst of the hardest thing I've ever done.

We've seen LOTS of people this morning.  Many doctors, nurses, several therapists and more.  All think Eliana is doing great.  So many comment on how cute she is - how sweet her smile is - and what a precious little baby we have.

I feel like I've been in "crisis" mode for all of the last 4 months.  It's been a hard place to live for what has seemed a very long time.  I've missed just being able to treat her like a baby.  Just to enjoy her without worrying about how or when I was doing specific things or counting hours, minutes or volumes.  I have a notebook journaling every thing that has gone into Eliana - everything!  It's been a lot to keep up with and a means of keeping me "on my toes" and not relaxed.

Yesterday I talked with my pediatrician and she mentioned that now I needed to get started on the other things - therapies and such - that have taken a back seat while we dealt with cardiac issues.  I told her that I wasn't quite ready for that.  I just want some time to have a baby.  I just want her to be a baby.  Not a baby in heart failure. 

I shared this with one of the nurse practitioner and she encouraged me to do that.  Just let her be a baby for a short time - and then to get started.  Of course, I've since seen 2 therapists who encourage much more immediate action.  I'm sure that I'd feel guilty not doing anything too.

I'm not really sure what to do now.  What is my next step?  I know that the next couple of months that I'll still have to keep a close eye on Eliana and her care.  Hopefully more and more things will normalize - or get to a normal for us.   I know that recovery will still be a challenge, but hopefully without all of the worry.  Feeding is our next big hurdle. 

I am so thankful for your prayers and encouragment.  I would ask you to continue to pray as you feel led - while Eliana is in recovery and beyond.  I'm a little nervous and feeling like I'm stepping out into the unknown.  Nobody ever said parenting was easy, but the rewards are without measure!

We do have more photos.  I'll see if some are ready to post before we leave the hospital.  Eliana is finishing up her tube feeding and then we are going home!!!  Thank you for walking this with us, for caring about us, for praying for us and for wanting to be a part of our lives. 

With love,

Leslie

11 comments:

  1. Praise GOD!


    Leslie, take that time. Enjoy her. We waited and I don't regret it a bit! Oh, and get some sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee!!! Don't worry about the therapy. There is plenty of time for that. You will most likely feel completely exhausted when you get home. I know that when we got home from Connor's surgery I had 4 months of exhaustion just fall on me. Take some time to rest and just enjoy Eliana. We did almost no therapy in those first few months (Connor got RSV after his surgery and then after he recovered from that pneumonia). Don't let anyone push you or make you feel guilty. It is OK to wait.


    I'm so happy that things went so well. Can't wait to see more pictures.


    Love and continued prayers,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is good!!! So glad you get to take her home so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the entire Nelsen family - phew! it's been a long road so far, but what a beautiful little girl she is. Enjoy spending time with her; therapy will wait a little while. You are all in our prayers & thoughts daily.

    Love,

    Tom & Susie May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praising God right along side you Leslie!


    What wonderful, wonderful news. :-)


    I will continue to keep you all in my prayers as you embark on the next step of enjoying your sweet little Eliana Joy.

    Love,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, your going home, that's incredible!! Truly a miracle!!! Enjoy her being a baby! Looking forward to seeing more pictures!!! Continuing to pray!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a miracle! We are so happy to hear the wonderful news! Can't wait to see more pictures. I will pray that her at-home post-op care isn't too overwhelming for your family and that it all goes very smoothly. And...enjoy letting her just be a baby :)


    Blessings,

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how my heart smiles as I think of you getting to share these coming days enjoying your beautiful little Eliana. :)


    Know that our prayers continue to be with you. We are rejoicing in God and thanking Him who has done immeasurably more than we could ask or think!


    Lots of love ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Leslie,

    Who ever heard of a baby going home just 3 days after open heart surgery!! That is certainly EXCEEDING ABUNDANTLY ABOVE all that we asked or thought!!! Yes, enjoy Eliana with her new appetite and energy and more hours awake and emerging individuality. The stronger she gets, the more she will begin to try to do on her own. (Therapy is perhaps a bit overrated. Your other children will be some of Eliana's best little therapists!)


    Be sure to tell her surgery story on Down-Heart, as soon as you've time. There are a couple others that are having surgery soon.


    We have started Justin on Nutrivene-D, which are supplements formulated specifically for children with DS. Studies have found that they have very low levels of some things and high levels of other things, so they shouldn't just take multi-vitamins for typical infants. The basic Daily Supplement might help her to recover even faster and have an even better appetite and better muscle tone. One step at a time is all you need to do. Eliana has her whole lifetime ahead of her!! PRAISE GOD!!!

    Love,

    Anna

    ReplyDelete

  10. Leslie,

    It has been amazing to read your posts and 'see' you change from being overwhelmed and so unsure, to the confident, God-led mother that you truly are!


    You are the perfect mother for Eliana! God has blessed her....


    Love ya,

    Lisa

    'Lisalyn'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by before bedtime to say I am still praying, and I am blown away-again- by Eliana's smile, and then the news of you going home. Woo-hoo!!!


    You at least get what is left of her expected 2 week recovery to just rest and enjoy her. I think you could take longer, but even the doctor's must agree to that.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!