Friday, March 23, 2007

Wholehearted Update

I wanted to share an update on Rebecca's Wholehearted bracelet sales.  She is such a sweet example to me and I'm so very proud of her!  When she first started this project, she began selling elastic bracelets on our street.  Most were $3-$5 and she raised $72 this way.  When she asked about donating the money, I encouraged her to have a goal of $100 before she made the donation.  It seemed a reasonable and reachable goal.

Rebecca expanded to selling memory wire bracelets in addition to the elastic.  She has had several opportunities to sell her bracelets.  Since setting that first goal - she has more than surpassed itl!  She visited my dh's work again and the people there so receptive and encouraging to her.  She has also received some donations and special ordersfrom friends and family.  Thus far she has raised the following amount:

$1081.00                 


All of this money will go to help other children that need heart repair surgery. 

I have been trying to find out if there might be some options for Rebecca to sell her bracelets at the hospital where Eliana will be having her surgery (Duke) as well as what we needed to do to make the donation.   I played phone tag with one person, then decided to try the Development Office.  The gal that I spoke with was very encouraging about Rebecca's efforts to raise money.  When I told her that she had raised over $1000, her response was "Wow!  we need her on our team!".  Rebecca loved hearing that.

She told me that she would like to make a "big deal" of Rebecca handing over the money.  She plans to set up a time when Eliana's cardiologist can accept the check from her formally.  I'm hoping for pictures and perhaps a story to share with others too.  We'll see.  I also asked about specifying the donation for babies needing heart repair and they are more than happy to accomodate that request!

We initially thought about making the donation during Eliana's appointment next week, but then decided to wait until after Rebecca has the opportunity to sell bracelets at the Special Needs Conference next month and finish up some  special orders.

We've talked some about a new goal, but haven't set one yet.  We'll see how far this will go.   

One of my friends asked if Rebecca minded getting help in making the bracelets since this was her project.  I didn't think she would but asked what she thought about it.  She thought it was a great idea as the more people that were helping, the better. 

Sweetheart!   

I'm so thankful for all of the precious children that God has placed in our family.  We have been exceedingly and abundantly blessed.  My hands and heart are so full ... with lots and lots of love.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie,

    Would Rebecca like to come to my class at Duke with me sometime soon to sell bracelets? I'd love to have her and I could pick her up and bring her home.


    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I am proud of all of her hard work. I told the coordinator of the special needs conference about her coming to sell bracelets at my booth, and she was very excited about it.


    I will be praying about the heart surgery.


    Love, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Leslie, I am a slacker. I just sent you the extra beads the other day so they should get to your house soon! I am very post office challenged ;-)


    Take care!

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of the FIAR family, and I'd be so honored to wear one of your beautiful bracelets! Although I've never met you, I know in my heart you are a very special young lady ~ a girl after God's own heart!


    Please let me know your address and how much to send you for the bracelet and postage. I will wear the bracelet often and say a prayer for your Wholehearted ministry and for your family each time I look at it!


    May God bless you, sweetie! You are an inspiration to me!


    With love,

    Mrs. Zimmerman

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!