Sunday, February 4, 2007

Struggling to Eat

I've never experienced the struggle to eat with one of my children like I have with Eliana.  Trying to get in 20 ounces into her tiny body is so tough!  And something we have yet to accomplish in a day.  Interestingly, I was reflecting back on my pregnancy with her and noting that there were MANY days in which it was hard for me to take in 20 ounces of fluids as well.  I know it isn't related, but I can remember it seeming like soooo much to try to drink - and just impossible to do. 

We have had a hard time over the last two days in getting Eliana to eat.  She received a shot yesterday morning and I thought perhaps some of her tiredness and lack of desire to eat was related to that.  I know that sometimes babies can sleep a lot more after a shot.  Dont' think it should last this long though.  Yesterdays numbers (ounces drunk) were equal to our worst day so far. 

Today  she won't eat much either.  It's a struggle to get her to take even 2 ounces.  I need to go try to wake her and try again.  *sigh*  You just can't "make" someone eat.!

It took me an hour today to pump 2 ounces and much longer than that to try to get her to drink it.  I'm hoping things change soon.  If not, I have been encouraged by many that the feeding tube would not be a bad thing.  I'm thankful to hear from those that have experienced this as it does calm my  heart.

Sorry this post is such a downer.  I'm feeling a little discouraged after yesterday's good weight gain.

Blessings,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!