Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The meaning of a name

I'm often asked where her name came from and I honestly don't remember exactly.  I read it somewhere online during my pregnancy - the end of it.  I've had the name Lydia picked out for a girl for a number of years (and still love the name), but somehow it just wasn't the name for this little girl.  We debated while in the hospital as to which name was right for our daughter and prayerfully chose Eliana.  I couldn't even remember what her name meant - only that it was a nice meaning. 

I found this definition and pronunciation guide on-line and thought I'd post it here. 

The girl's name Eliana \e-lia-
na\ is pronounced el-ee-AH-nah. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "the Lord answers".

I'm not sure what God is answering with our precious daughter.  All of her medical conditions certainly were NOT what we had prayed for - and in fact were what we had prayed would not happen.   I know that God has a purpose for this precious girl's life and her place in our family.  I'm not sure what He has answered but I trust that in time the meaning of her name will become more clear to us. 

Blessings,.
Leslie

3 comments:

  1. I think it is a beautiful name and she is a beautiful girl.


    We had chosen "Max" for years if we had another boy; but after I was pregnant we switched the boy name to Noah. The frequent meaning I see is "rest or peace". LOL! I'm in NEED of both. :)


    Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful name for a beautiful baby.


    I love her name. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed sometimes at the meanings that our children's names have. (Ones I didn't think about or particularly intend.) Moriah's name means "The Lord is my Teacher" and she has taught me more than I can say. Humility, faith and trust being the tops....

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends!!! Thank you for taking time to leave a comment!